What do fans want?
Find the right ways to engage your community
If you want to show you care, you need to ask some simple but important questions about your fans: Why do they ‘Like’ my brand and my fan page? What can my brand bring them? What do they expect from the relationship?
Understand your fans to build a stronger community
A variety of approaches can suit these different fans and help build a strong community:
- Attract the Strangers and get to know them better. Spark their curiosity by finding a way to be remarkable and stand out from the crowd. A campaign involving quizzes on unusual topics can help draw them in.
- Interest fans who don’t know you well. Tell them an intriguing story or offer an interesting experience to break the ice and make them want to know more. This could be a great time to offer a fun personality test.
- Give the curious something to come back for. Get to know them better and make them feel good with entertaining or fun activities. Why not organize a photo or video contest to provide fans with a showcase for their talent and them talking with the community?
- Listen to the people who are watching you closely. Give them an opportunity to express their opinions and respond to them. Their feedback – positive or negative – can be valuable for understanding the market and how well your brand is performing. Quick polls and quizzes are a great way to hear them out.
- Cherish those who love you. Thank them often, show them you value their support and motivate them to spread the word. What about spreading a little excitement with a daily prize draw or offering special deal coupons?
For more on relationship strategy, see ‘The rules’.